Many thanks to Jean-Luc for this wonderful 1st pressing
One of Pierre Fournier’s great recordings – arguably the best recording of this Cello work.. The recording was made when Fournier was at his technical peak, and partnered by the keenly-insightful Friedrich Gulda. They make sublime music together! Fournier first paired with Schnabel and later with Kempf. I’ve seen reviews to the effect that the Fournier – Gulda and Fournier – Kempf partnerships have equal merit and receive equally high praise. — But while it makes sense that Fournier and Kempf should make a natural partnership in musical temperament and style of play, Gulda partnering with Fournier might appear to be a surprising collaboration!… Until you hear them engage in a profound and brilliant (technically) conversation.
Composer: Ludwig van Beethoven
Performer: Pierre Fournier, Friedrich Gulda
Number of Discs: 1
DR-Analysis: DR 13
Size: 1.59 GB
Friedrich Gulda, a ‘cerebral’ pianist with diabolic technique to burn, and abundant musical intelligence to boot, matches with the ethereally lyrical French cellist Pierre Fournier probably the first time in this recording.
The result is astonishingly outstanding.
The piano and cello balance out each other, complimenting each other, engage in intimate dialogue with each other in temperatures that are hot enough to set the listeners on fire, yet never too much to exasperate them.
And above all, the pairing of Fournier and Gulda here is also the pairing of the veteran and the newbie. Lively underpinnings with mellow overtones throughout. Simply listening that couldn’t be more pleasurable.
Analyzed Folder: /192k LvB – Cello Sonata Op. 5 – Fournier, Gulda
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR13 -0.86 dB -19.01 dB A1 LvB – Sonata For Piano And Cello F-Major Op. 5 No. 1 – Adagio Sostenuto-Allegro.flac
DR13 -1.95 dB -19.64 dB A2 LvB – Sonata For Piano And Cello F-Major Op. 5 No. 1 – Allegro Vivace.flac
DR13 -1.05 dB -18.43 dB B1 LvB – Sonata For Piano And Cello G-Minor Op. 5 No. 2 – Adagio Sostenuto Ed Espressivo-Allegro Molto Piu’ Tosto Presto.flac
DR14 -2.79 dB -20.72 dB B2 LvB – Sonata For Piano And Cello G-Minor Op. 5 No. 2 – Rondo (Allegro).flac
Number of Files: 4
Official DR Value: DR13
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
- Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- Phono amp: Audio Research SP15 own tube phono section.
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Audio Research SP15
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX 5 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.18
- Very careful de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removed, never de-noising
- Wave 32/192(32/384) —> Flac 24/96(24/192): Twisted Wave 1.18
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciated.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !