Many thanks to our friend Jean-Luc for this splendid “Grandezza”
Vaclav Neumann (1920-95) was the first conductor behind the Iron Curtain to record all the Mahler symphonies. He did so with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, where he was kaepllmesiter from 1964-68, and the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra of these recordings, where he gained greatest fame as chief conductor from 1968-90. Perhaps owing to the enforced mantra of Socialist reality in East Germany and Czechoslovakia during his time, beauty tends to replace neuroses in his recordings. Indeed, Neumann’s Mahler is about as far removed temperamentally as possible from the Mahler-as-neurotic standard of Bernstein, Solti, Tilson Thomas and others in the West. Instead, Neumann focuses on beauty of sound and orchestral execution. There is prodigious beauty here in this Symphony. The overall impression this left me is: beautiful. Not overly angsty, tortured Mahler; rather, Mahler led by a dedicated conductor and a fantastic Czech Orchestra.
Composer: Gustav Mahler
Orchestra: Czech Philarmonic Orchestra
Conductor: Vaclav Neumann
Number of Discs: 2
DR-Analysis: DR 16
Size: 3.14 GB
|Symphony No. 7 In E Minor|
|A||Langsam (Adagio) – Allegro Con Fuoco||21:30|
|B1||Nachtmusik, Allegro Moderato||14:15|
|B2||Schattenhaft, Fliessend Aber Nicht Schnell, In Den Anfangstakten Noch Etwas Zoegernd||10:10|
|C||Nachtmusik, Andante Amoroso||16:15|
|D||Rondo-Finale. Tempo I (Allegro Ordinario)||18:00|
Analyzed folder: /192k Mahler – Symphony No. 7 – Neumann
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR15 -0.58 dB -19.74 dB A Symphony No. 7 In E Minor – Langsam (Adagio) – Allegro Con Fuoco.aif
DR17 -0.95 dB -23.33 dB B1 Symphony No. 7 In E Minor – Nachtmusik, Allegro Moderato.aif
DR16 -2.10 dB -23.36 dB B2 Symphony No. 7 In E Minor – Schattenhaft, Fliessend Aber Nicht Schnell, In Den Anfangstakten Noch Etwas Zoegernd.aif
DR16 -3.36 dB -25.24 dB C Symphony No. 7 In E Minor – Nachtmusik, Andante Amoroso.aif
DR15 -0.68 dB -20.56 dB D Symphony No. 7 In E Minor – Rondo-Finale. Tempo I (Allegro Ordinario).aif
Number of files: 5
Official DR value: DR16
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
- Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- Phono amp: Audio Research SP15 own tube phono section.
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Audio Research SP15
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX 4 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Super light de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removing, no de-noising
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciated.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !