All thanks for this legend belong to our friend Trottar
This Karajan Falstaff has much to recommend it: Fedora Barbieri’s Mistress Quickly is a force of nature, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, only slightly affected, is a liquid, appealing Alice Ford, and Luigi Alva and the young Anna Moffo are ideal as the young lovers, Fenton and Nanetta. But the star–as it should be–is Tito Gobbi in the title role. As is usual with this great singing actor, his characterization comes from within–his is a Falstaff born to be deflated, arrogant and self-deluding on a level that is actually funny. And the nice surprise is what good voice Gobbi’s in–he’s in charge of all of his vocal colors here and he uses all of them well. Karajan’s touch is light and, yes, funny, and he treats the opera as the divine ensemble work it is, all leading up to a superb final scene. A good time is had by all–listeners included. –Robert Levine.
Composer: Giuseppe Verdi
Performer: Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Anna Moffo, Fedora Barbieri, Tito Gobbi, Rolando Panerai, Luigi Alva, Nicola Zaccaria
Orchestra: Philharmonia Orchestra
Conductor: Herbert von Karajan
Number of discs: 3
DR-Analysis: DR 17
Size: 2.33 GB
We have the fortune to enjoy many “desert island” recordings in the operatic world which have had enormous impact within public and critics. This Falstaff is among these bright star recordings such as Callas’ Tosca, Soltis’ Ring or Giulini’s Don Giovanni.
Verdi reinvented himself for Otello and Falstaff proving that at almost 90 years of age he still was the greatest italian composer of his generation (and maybe of all generations). He abandons the musical forms of Rigoletto or Aida and, with clear Wagner influence, creates musical works of flowing drama for Otello, and dark comedy for Falstaff. However, he maintains that infinite melodic imagination which has made his operas reach immortality. Quick arias, coming-and-going duetos, bright ensembles are all filled with beautiful music, all to be crowned by his famous fugue.
This is the mature Verdi at his glorious best!
Karajan directs with polished precision and clarity, managing the volume and tempo with emotional effectiveness. Gobbi is glorious in his portrayal of the lonesome, fat Sir. His dramatic and comedic accents are filled with inspiration while his beautiful, vibrant baritone delights the ear. And the rest of the cast…Schwarzkopf, Moffo, Panerai, Barbieri…all of them legends of singing who make this recording a must have for music lovers worldwide.
Analyzed folder: /96k Verdi – Falstaff – Gobbi, Karajan
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR16 -0.42 dB -23.07 dB sideA.aif
DR16 -0.39 dB -23.29 dB sideB.aif
DR16 -0.37 dB -22.63 dB sideC.aif
DR18 -1.26 dB -24.80 dB sideD.aif
DR17 -0.87 dB -25.82 dB sideE.aif
DR17 -0.83 dB -24.41 dB sideF.aif
Number of files: 6
Official DR value: DR17
- Baritone Vocals [Falstaff] – Tito Gobbi
- Baritone Vocals [Ford] – Rolando Panerai
- Bass Vocals [Pistol] – Nicola Zaccaria
- Chorus – Philharmonia Chorus
- Chorus Master – Roberto Benaglio
- Composed By – Giuseppe Verdi
- Conductor – Herbert von Karajan
- Libretto By – Arrigo Boito
- Mezzo-soprano Vocals [Mistress Page] – Nan Merriman
- Mezzo-soprano Vocals [Mistress Quickly] – Fedora Barbieri
- Orchestra – Philharmonia Orchestra
- Soprano Vocals [Mistress Ford] – Elisabeth Schwarzkopf
- Soprano Vocals [Nannetta] – Anna Moffo
- Tenor Vocals [Bardolph] – Renato Ercolani
- Tenor Vocals [Dr. Caius] – Tomaso Spataro
- Tenor Vocals [Fenton] – Luigi Alva
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
- Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- Phono amp: Audio Research SP15 own tube phono section
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Audio Research SP15
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX 4 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Super light de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removing, no de-noising
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciated.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button.
Pay attention: due to a little, short noise (bzzzzzz…..) at minute 9:31 of side D, I have already uploaded a fixed side D. Please, DL it and replace the old one.