You can always count on Riccardo Muti to give a strong performance of popular works. His performance of Mussorgsky’s masterpiece is near the top. His tempi for the various “pictures” are right on. Muti’s performance is excellent and he has the sound to carry it off, but the reading does lack the oomph of others like Reiner and especially Ormandy (the earlier recording with the Philadelphia Orchestra on Columbia/Sony). Muti begins Pictures as though he is warming up, with the latter pictures much more highly charged than those in the first half. By the time he arrives at The Great Gate of Kiev he and the Philadelphia Orchestra are in full swing. It’s a top-notch performance.
Gennady Rozhdestvensky’s recordings of the “Polovetsian Dances” by Borodin and The “Capriccio Espagnole” by Rimsky-Korsakov are powerful and impeccable interpretations and good companions to Mussorgsky’s “pictures”.
Composer: Modest Mussorgsky, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Alexander Borodin
Orchestra: Philadelphia Orchestra, Orchestre de Paris
Conductor: Riccardo Muti, Gennady Roshdestwensky
Number of discs: 1
DR-Analysis: DR 13
Size: 1.24 GB
Analyzed folder: /96k Mussorgsky – Pictures At An Exhibition – Muti
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR13 -1.12 dB -19.35 dB A01 Promenade – Gnomus – Promenade.aif
DR14 -3.55 dB -24.39 dB A02 The Old Castle – Promenade.aif
DR15 -4.98 dB -26.54 dB A03 The Tuileries.aif
DR11 -1.12 dB -18.32 dB A04 Bydlo – Promenade.aif
DR12 -11.33 dB -28.83 dB A05 Ballet Of The Chicks In Their Shells.aif
DR11 -3.68 dB -19.03 dB A06 Samuel Goldenberg And Schmuyle.aif
DR12 -2.64 dB -19.68 dB A07 Limoges.aif
DR11 -2.99 dB -20.10 dB A08 Catacombs.aif
DR10 -18.59 dB -33.20 dB A09 Cum Mortus In Lingua.aif
DR12 -0.77 dB -17.53 dB A10 The Hut On Fowl’s Legs.aif
DR11 -0.91 dB -16.08 dB A11 The Great Gate Of Kiev.aif
DR12 -0.60 dB -17.54 dB B1 Borodin – Polovetsian Dances.aif
DR12 -0.67 dB -18.10 dB B2 Rimsky-Korsakov – Capriccio Espagnole.aif
Number of files: 13
Official DR value: DR12
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
- Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- Phono amp: Audio Research SP15 own tube phono section.
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Audio Research SP15
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX 4 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Super light de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removing, no de-noising
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciated.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !