Many thanks to Janicius for this gift
This recording is special. Its a living historical document that formed the basis of legend. The circumstances surrounding this competition, its occurrence in a specific time and place, and the outcomes, all are noteworthy. Like most historical documents, this one isn’t perfect. Nonetheless, the sound is quiet good. To be sure, the orchestra still sounds thin at times, intonation isn’t always the best. And Van Cliburn is hardly note-perfect either. But the performance is just electrifying, and the excitement, palpable. Van Cliburn delivers. But in the end one can really be blown away by the power and passion Van Cliburn put into the Rach 3…unbelievable for a 24 year old.
Composer: Sergei Rachmaninov
Performer: Van Cliburn
Orchestra: Symphony Of The Air
Conductor: Kiril Kondrashin
Number of Discs: 1
DR-Analysis: DR 12
Size: 856 MB
Analyzed folder: /96k Rachmaninov – Piano Concerto No. 3 – Van Cliburn, Kondrashin
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR12 -1.21 dB -19.69 dB A Piano Concerto No. 3 In D Minor, Op. 30 – 1. Allegro Ma Non Tanto.aif
DR12 -4.60 dB -22.04 dB B1 Piano Concerto No. 3 In D Minor, Op. 30 – 2. Intermezzo. Adagio.aif
DR13 -0.65 dB -18.64 dB B2 Piano Concerto No. 3 In D Minor, Op. 30 – 3. Finale. Alla breve.aif
Number of files: 3
Official DR value: DR12
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
- Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- Phono amp: Audio Research SP15 own tube phono section.
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Audio Research SP15
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
A few words about the way i’ve been cleaning vinyl records and post-processing rips, since summer 2017: After washing and recording the vinyl, I use a kind of mixed cleaning of the rip, which consists of mostly manual rather than automatic de-clicking, (the latter only on unimportant passages, such as end of the groove, beginning and end of the songs, applause, speaking). I often leave the rips almost rough, de-clicking only the silences between the tracks. Never de-noising or/and EQ, as unfortunately some do. I prefer to hear a bit of quiet noises of the clean groove, that contain something of the music, rather than generate clinically clean files that may, eventually, sound a bit dead. If you do not agree, do not download my rips and buy instead digital files or CDs.
When I listen to music I “don’t hear” any noise: I enjoy the music 😀
I do not make rips for headphones!
- Software: iZotope RX 5 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.18
- Very careful de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removed, never de-noising
- Wave 32/192(32/384) —> Flac 24/96 & 24/192: Twisted Wave 1.18
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciated.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !