All thanks for this rarity go to Jean-Luc
Though the Symphony-Concerto is cast in the conventional three movements, their proportions are unusual: the outer movements are equal in duration, while the central movement is a vast, complex Scherzo replete with wild ideas and a thrilling extended cadenza. The work begins with a relatively slow movement that proceeds with the character of a march, propelled by an ascending four-note theme. The solo cellist…
Composer: Sergei Prokofiev, Ottorino Respighi
Performer: André Navarra
Orchestra: Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor: Karel Ančerl
Number of discs: 1
DR-Analysis: DR 11
Size: 921 MB
…enters in right away, its long-winding, eloquent melody splayed against the insistent, four-square pattern of the motto theme. This juxtaposition, along with the contrast of ascending and descending figures, fuels the drama of the movement.
The Scherzo, with its manic rhythms and shocks of orchestration, looks back to Prokofiev’s avant-garde, “bad boy” period in the West, above all in its steely sarcasm and virtuoso fireworks. (His own instrument was the piano.) But it also makes room for lyrical rapture, above all in the music for the solo cello that relaxes the mood and paves the way for the cadenza.
Prokofiev turns to the theme and variations format for his finale, working with a “safely” folkish theme (given by the cellist at the beginning that fits the mandates of Socialist Realist accessibility. Yet he included a parodistic interlude initiated by the bassoon and strings and featuring a popular melody that one of Prokofiev’s bureaucratic antagonists had adapted. The latter became outraged when he recognized this at the play-through of the work necessary before it could be approved for public performance. Whether this was meant as a subversive nose-thumbing, Rostropovich later said the composer rewrote the offending passage but told him “to replace the original theme when the scandal had simmered down,” as Jaffé reports. The coda represents another section significantly reworked by Prokofiev from his original material, ending the Symphony-Concerto with a spirited flight into the instrument’s heights, deftly punctuated by the timpani.
Respighi’sAdagio With Variations is a beautiful and fitting piece to accompaign this masterwork of Prokofiev.
|Prokofiev – Symphony-Concerto For Violoncello And Orchestra, Op. 125|
|A2-B1||II. Allegro Giusto|
|B2||III. Andante Con Moto|
|B3||Respighi – Adagio Con Variazioni|
Analyzed folder: /96k Prokofieff, Respighi – Symphony-Concerto, Adagio Con Variationi – Ancerl
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR12 -1.32 dB -16.94 dB A1 Prokofiev – Symphony-Concerto For Violoncello And Orchestra, Op. 125 – I. Andante.aif
DR13 -1.07 dB -18.00 dB A2 Prokofiev – Symphony-Concerto For Violoncello And Orchestra, Op. 125 – II. Allegro Giusto (Part 1).aif
DR10 -1.70 dB -16.25 dB B1 Prokofiev – Symphony-Concerto For Violoncello And Orchestra, Op. 125 – II. Allegro Giusto (Part 2).aif
DR11 -1.49 dB -16.58 dB B2 Prokofiev – Symphony-Concerto For Violoncello And Orchestra, Op. 125 – III. Andante Con Moto.aif
DR10 -1.84 dB -16.48 dB B3 Respighi – Adagio Con Variazioni.aif
Number of files: 5
Official DR value: DR11
- Composer – Sergei Prokofiev, Ottorino Respighi
- Conductor – Karel Ančerl
- Cover – Jiří Pozděna
- Engineer [Sound And Cut] – Ing. Očenášek
- Orchestra – Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
- Painting [Front Cover] – Peter Vodkin
- Recording Supervisor – Miloslav Kuba
- Sleeve Notes – Dr. Kamil Šlapák
- Soloist, Cello – André Navarra
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
- Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- Phono amp: Audio Research SP15 own tube phono section.
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Audio Research SP15
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX 4 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Super light de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removing, no de-noising
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciated.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button.