Many thanks to our friend Jean-Luc for this gem
In the 1950s and 60s, CBS/Columbia (now Sony Classical) had the great fortune to have three of America’s best orchestras and their conductors on its recording roster — Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic, Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra, and George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra. More than a half-century later, only Leonard Bernstein remains a name that even the non-classical music world knows well. This particular disc features Ormandy and the Philadelphians with the great pianists Philippe Entremont (he was 23 years old on recording this in 1958) on the Grieg Piano Concerto, that’s often accompained by Rachmaninov’s “Paganini-Rhapsody”. When it comes to the “Rhapsody”, it will has to be either Curzon on Decca or this recording made decades ago. Just by knowing the orchestra (long considered the nation’s finest at the time) and the conductor (a major virtuoso to many critics), as well as the splendid performance on the piano, explains a lot of it.
Go ahead and look for others, but I definitely recommend this.
Composer: Sergei Rachmaninov, Edward Grieg
Performer: Philippe Entremont
Orchestra: Philadelphia Orchestra
Conductor: Eugene Ormandy
Number of Discs: 1
DR-Analysis: DR 13
Size: 1.89 GB
|Concerto In A Minor For Piano And Orchestra Op. 16|
|A1||I – Allegro Molto Moderato
|A2||II – Adagio – III – Allegro Moderato Molto E Marcato
|A3||III – Allegro Moderato Molto E Marcato
|B1||Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini, Op. 43
Analyzed Folder: /192k Grieg, Piano Concerto – Rachmaninov, Rhapsody On A Theme By Paganini – Entremont, Ormandy_dr.txt
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR14 -0.76 dB -19.30 dB A1 Grieg – Piano Concerto in A minor, Op.16 – 1. Allegro molto moderato.flac
DR13 -4.49 dB -23.36 dB A2 Grieg – Piano Concerto in A minor, Op.16 – 2. Adagio.flac
DR13 -0.59 dB -17.24 dB A3 Grieg – Piano Concerto in A minor, Op.16 – 3. Allegro moderato molto e marcato – Quasi presto – Andante maestoso.flac
DR13 -0.48 dB -18.42 dB B Rachmaninov – Rhapsody On A Theme By Paganini.flac
Number of Files: 4
Official DR Value: DR13
- Conductor – Eugene Ormandy
- Orchestra – The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Photography By – Don Hunstein
- Piano – Philippe Entremont
- Sleeve Notes – Charles Burr
- Composed By – Edward Grieg (tracks: A1-A3), Sergei Rachmaninov (tracks: B)
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
- Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- Phono amp: Audio Research SP15 own tube phono section.
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Audio Research SP15
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX 5 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.18
- Very careful de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removed, never de-noising
- Wave 32/192(32/384) —> Flac 24/96(24/192): Twisted Wave 1.18
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciated.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !