Many thanks to Jean-Luc for this pearl
Rozhdestvensky is one of the later Soviet conductors who was still young enough to have a lengthy post Soviet career. These Sibelius recordings are from the 1970s when he was in his 40s. One has to accept that the Soviet brass sections were always a bit blaring and intrusive. It adds excitement at climaxes but also can upset the musical balance. Bearing that in mind, Rozhdestvensky brings an exceptional lyrical impulse to these works combined with a consistent rhythmic impulse which keeps the music from becoming unfocused. In the Sixth symphony Rozhdestvensky does a particularly brilliant job with the first two movements. The opening with strings and woodwind is magically handled and the movement gently evolves out of that, building momentum without seeming to. The brass provide a blazing punctuation to the movement right before the final cadence. The second movement carries the listener to the edge of a Finnish forest where little noises and rustling trees disturb the solitude in evanescent fashion. The final two movements are excellent but not quite to the level of the earlier ones.
Composer: Jean Sibelius
Orchestra: Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Conductor: Gennady Rozhdestvensky
Number of Discs: 1
DR-Analysis: DR 12
Size: 2.19 GB
Analyzed Folder: /192k Sibelius – Symphonies No. 5, 6 – Rozhdestvensky
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR12 -1.02 dB -19.37 dB A1 Symphony No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 82- I. Tempo molto moderato – Allegro moderato.flac
DR13 -2.02 dB -21.13 dB A2 Symphony No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 82- II. Andante mosso, quasi allegretto.flac
DR12 -0.93 dB -17.75 dB A3 Symphony No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 82- III. Allegro molto – Largamente assai.flac
DR12 -2.82 dB -20.25 dB B1 Symphony No.6 in D minor, Op.104 – 1. Allegro molto moderato.flac
DR13 -2.73 dB -21.70 dB B2 Symphony No.6 in D minor, Op.104 – 2. Allegretto moderato.flac
DR12 -1.31 dB -18.66 dB B3 Symphony No.6 in D minor, Op.104 – 3. Poco vivace.flac
DR13 -1.22 dB -18.85 dB B4 Symphony No.6 in D minor, Op.104 – 4. Allegro molto.flac
Number of Files: 7
Official DR Value: DR12
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
- Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- Phono amp: Audio Research SP15 own tube phono section.
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Audio Research SP15
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX 5 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.18
- Very careful de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removed, never de-noising
- Wave 32/192(32/384) —> Flac 24/96(24/192): Twisted Wave 1.18
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciated.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !