Many thanks to our friend Bob for this gem
This strikingly-staged production of Puccini’s final opera, “Turandot” was filmed with the Vienna State Opera under the direction of Loren Maazal in 1983. Set on a spare stage with a single ascending staircase rising up to Turandot’s chambers, and with sumptuous, impressionistic costuming, the production allows…
# Composer: Giacomo Puccini
# Performer: José Carreras, Eva Marton, Katia Ricciarelli,
# Orchestra: Vienna State Opera Orchestra
# Conductor: Lorin Maazel
# Vinyl (1984)
# Number of Discs: 3
# Format: Flac
# Label: CBS
# DR-Analysis: DR: 17
# Size: 2.4 GB
# Scan: yes
# Server: FileFactory
…the audience to focus not on the sets or lighting, but the performances, which are uniformly excellent, and lend the production a stark, other-worldly feeling. Carreras is near his prime here, commanding and sure on his arias, while Katia Ricciarelli is radiant as Liu. Eva Marton is pure and powerful as the title princess, giving a weighty sense of grief to her character’s fate. Carreras was never my favourite tenor but I have to admit he comes up with the goods here. Eva Marton is also very special, though my favourite Turandot will always be the “Stupenda” Joan Sutherland. Katia Ricciarelli in the role of Liu on this recording, used to be a non-singer for me, probably still is….. She sounds not bad here…or better said, she is very good, I must admit this (sigh, is really me, who writes this?). But this is my personal war with Katia, don’t be affected in your own judgement 😀
Analyzed folder: /96k Puccini – Turandot – Marton, Carreras, Maazel
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR16 -0.45 dB -22.54 dB sideA.aif
DR17 -0.28 dB -23.22 dB sideB.aif
DR18 -0.18 dB -24.55 dB sideC.aif
DR15 -0.14 dB -21.54 dB sideD.aif
DR18 -0.49 dB -24.84 dB sideE.aif
DR15 -0.64 dB -20.89 dB sideF.aif
Number of files: 6
Official DR value: DR17
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
- Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- Phono amp: Pro-Ject Phono Box RS
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Große Vorstufe, Erste Frankfurter Röhrenmanufaktur (Tube)
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
If You hear some clicks and pops here and there, Who cares?
Id rather have a few light anomalies instead of destroying the music.
Enjoy the music, not the ticks & pops.
I tend more and more, in the last time, to de-click with an automatic setting between 0.7 and 1.2 so you can say, my rips are like half rough rips.
- Software: iZotope RX 4 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Very light de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removing, no de-noising
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciate.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !
Download from FileFactory