Many thanks to our friend Mats for this “six” at the lottery
(1) Take one of the greatest composers ever lived, (2) one of the most beautiful violin concertos, (3) a former wonder child at the violin, (4) one of the greatest orchestra directors, (5) one of the technically best recording of this work that I know and, at least, (6) trasfer this wonder to digital with the best possible equipment (SP15 and Black Bird) and… there you have the “six” 😀 Anne-Sophie is here 16 years old and simply wonderful phantastic !
Composer: Ludwig van Beethoven
Performer: Anne-Sophie Mutter
Orchestra: Berliner Philharmoniker
Conductor: Herbert von Karajan
Number of Discs: 1
DR-Analysis: DR 14
Size: 965 MB
You can’t quite hear in this Beethoven Violin Concerto, fresh and elegant as it is, why Mutter went on to become the highest-paid soloist in classical music. There’s not enough personal voice, as one learns by turning to her later reading, also on DG, with Kurt Masur. There, Mutter has glamoour and style to die for, perhaps too much for Beethoven’s lofty musical intentions. Her younger self was simpler and fresher, but both possess dead-on intonation and amazing technical polish.
Whatever Karajan saw in his teenage protegee, he certainly spotted a future star. Condcutor and orchestra supply a masterful accompaniment, the best I’ve heard since Furtwangler’s famous account with Menuhin in the post-war era. In keeping with his young soloist, Karajan keeps the accompaniment light, never overwhelming her.
I wouldn’t say that this is my favourite performance of the Beethoven. In fact I have about 10 different performances of this concerto, and if I could morph all 10 into 1 then that would be my ideal. Nevertheless, what I like about this performance is the spaciousness that Mutter gets. Someone once remarked that the first movement of this work is a work of “lofty architecture” and I tend to agree with that description. Mutter’s playing is very precise, and wonderful, especially in the high registers. Yes, perhaps there isn’t much of her personality in it, but that’s the Karjan way IMHO. Nevertheless, it’s quite stunning. I often come back to this one, on account of the first movement. It may be slow, but it’s quite captivating.
Absolutely recommended !
|Konzert Für Violine Und Orchester D-dur Op. 61|
|A||1. Satz: Allegro Ma Non Troppo||26:31|
|B1||2. Satz: Larghetto||11:24|
|B2||3. Satz: Rondo. Allegro||10:16|
Analyzed folder: /96k LvB – Violin Concerto – Mutter, Karajan
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR13 -1.03 dB -20.77 dB A Konzert Fuer Violine Und Orchester D-dur Op. 61 – 1. Satz- Allegro Ma Non Troppo.aif
DR16 -2.89 dB -26.76 dB B1 Konzert Fuer Violine Und Orchester D-dur Op. 61 – 2. Satz- Larghetto.aif
DR12 -0.50 dB -18.33 dB B2 Konzert Fuer Violine Und Orchester D-dur Op. 61 – 3. Satz- Rondo. Allegro.aif
Number of files: 3
Official DR value: DR14
- Art Direction – Peter Schuppe
- Composed By – Ludwig van Beethoven
- Conductor – Herbert von Karajan
- Engineer – Günter Hermanns
- Liner Notes [English] – Richard Osborne
- Liner Notes [German] – Ingo Harden
- Orchestra – Berliner Philharmoniker
- Photography By [Cover] – Susesch Bayat
- Producer – Günther Breest
- Recording Supervisor – Michel Glotz
- Translated By [French] – Nicole Geeraert
- Translated By [Italian] – Silvia Gaddini
- Violin – Anne-Sophie Mutter
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
- Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- NEW ! Phono amp: Audio Research SP15 own tube phono section.
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- NEW ! Pre Amp: Audio Research SP15
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
If You hear some clicks and pops here and there, Who cares?
Id rather have a few light anomalies instead of destroying the music.
Enjoy the music, not the ticks & pops.
My rips are almost rough rips.
- Software: iZotope RX 4 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Super light de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removing, no de-noising
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciate.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button.
Download from FileFactory