Many many thanks to our friend Ectudor for this rare recording
Virginia Zeani, one of the best Violetta ever! Her lyricism and then her passion of “Sempre libera”, the intensity in the duet with powerhouse baritone Herlea (his legato!), the drama of the last two acts! Beautiful recording, excellent classical conducting in the best tradition, by Maestro Jean Bobescu, good tenor Ion Buzea, splendid Elisabeta Neculce (mezzo and great teacher) et al. Highly recommended!
# Composer: Giuseppe Verdi
# Performer: Virginia Zeani, Ion Buzea, Nicolae Herlea
# Orchestra: Rumanian Opera Orchestra of Bucharest
# Conductor: Jean Bobescu
# Vinyl (1968)
# Number of Discs: 3
# Format: Flac
# Label: Electrecord
# DR-Analysis: DR 13
# Size: 1.33 GB
# Scan: yes
# Server: FileFactory
There are those sopranos of whom everyone has heard — women like Maria Callas, Renata Tebaldi and Joan Sutherland — and then there are the lesser names, not necessarily because of talent or vocal ability, but simply because the vagaries of an operatic career didn’t allow them to achieve the renown of their far better publicized peers.
Sopranos in this latter category include Anita Cerquetti (who gave up her singing career after making only one opera recording), Leyla Gencer (who, while she appeared in many of the great opera houses of Europe, never made a commercially released studio recording) and Virginia Zeani, who is featured on this complete recording of Verdi’s “La Traviata.”
I own some “Traviatas” with sopranos as disparate as Renata Tebaldi and Joan Sutherland, Renata Scotto and Anna Netrebko, and this recording is competitive with the best of them.
Zeani was an outstanding Violetta. Her ability to shade her voice is uncanny, as is her delivery of a superb characterization. Herlea, an absolutely amazing baritone who was left behind the iron curtain for too long, is out of this world. The timbre of his voice is luxurious. Jean Bobescu leads a nicely conducted account of Verdi’s score, and the rest of the cast doesn’t have a weak link.
Analyzed folder: /96k (Mono) Verdi – La Traviata – Zanei, Buzea, Herlea, Bobescu
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR15 -0.62 dB -20.69 dB sideA.wav
DR11 -0.72 dB -15.31 dB sideB.wav
DR15 -1.48 dB -20.39 dB sideC.wav
DR13 -1.16 dB -18.05 dB sideD.wav
DR13 -0.73 dB -18.31 dB sideE.wav
DR14 -1.58 dB -20.30 dB sideF.wav
Number of files: 6
Official DR value: DR13
- Choir – Corul Operei Române din București*
- Chorus Master [Maestru De Cor] – Stelian Olariu
- Conductor [Dirijor] – Jean Bobescu
- Engineer – Ing. Ben. Bernfeld*
- Layout [Tehnoredactor] – Boris Schidu
- Libretto By [Libretul De] – Francesco Maria Piave
- Orchestra – Orchestra Operei Române din București*
- Producer – Mihai Moldovan
- Soloist [Alfredo Germont] – Ion Buzea
- Soloist [Annina] – Elena Simionescu
- Soloist [Baronul Douphol] – Constantin Dumitru
- Soloist [Doctorul Grenvil] – Nicolae Rafael
- Soloist [Flora Bervoix] – Elisabeta Neculce-Carțiș
- Soloist [Gastone, Viconte De Letorières] – Vasile Moldoveanu
- Soloist [Giorgio Germont] – Nicolae Herlea
- Soloist [Giuseppe, Servitorul Violettei] – Vasile Moldoveanu
- Soloist [Marchizul D’Obigny] – Valentin Loghin
- Soloist [Servitorul Florei] – Teodor Panea
- Soloist [Un Comisionar] – Constantin Dumitru
- Soloist [Violetta Valéry] – Virginia Zeani
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
- Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
- Phono amp: Pro-Ject Phono Box RS
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Vintage (1979) Luxman L-55A
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
If You hear some clicks and pops here and there, Who cares?
Id rather have a few light anomalies instead of destroying the music.
Enjoy the music, not the ticks & pops.
I tend more and more, in the last time, to de-click with an automatic setting between 0.7 and 1.2 so you can say, my rips are like half rough rips.
- Software: iZotope RX 4 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Very light de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removing, no de-noising
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciate.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !
Download from FileFactory