Please welcome the unique dream-team: “La Divina” Maria Callas, “The Pride Of Sicily” Giuseppe Di Stefano, “The Magnificent Baritone” Tito Gobbi
Reposted, now with FF links
# Composer: Giuseppe Verdi
# Performer: Maria Callas, Tito Gobbi, Giuseppe Di Stefano, Nicola Zaccaria, Adriana Lazzarini, et al.
# Orchestra: Coro e Orchestra della Scala di Milano
# Conductor: Tullio Serafin
# Vinyl (1955)
# Number of Discs: 2.5 (pressed on 5 vinyl sides)
# Format: Flac
# Label: Angel (EMI)
#DR-Analysis: DR 12
# ASIN CD: B000002RY6
# Size: 2.14 GB
# Scan: yes
# Server: FF
Nobody steals the spotlight when Maria Callas is onstage, but Tito Gobbi never lets us forget that this show is called Rigoletto, not Gilda. Neither singer has one of the century’s prettiest voices; both have dramatic presence, impact, and subtlety–based as much on their control of verbal nuance as on musicianship–that make their characters three-dimensional, the story meaningful, the emotions real, varied, and intense. His role is bigger and more complex than hers is. He is almost constantly onstage, and his music runs the whole gamut from fatherly tenderness, to regret at a life gone wrong, to explosive rage. Sparks fly when they sing together, and Tullio Serafin conducts with an exemplary grasp of the opera and a detailed knowledge of his cast’s capabilities. –Joe McLellan
Pressed on 5 vinyl sides.
This has GOT to be the perfect cast for Rigoletto. Callas, Di Stefano, and Gobbi all in their wonderful primes. La Divina sounds so young, fresh, and innocent here. I have usually found Callas’ diction quite exceptional, unlike Dame Joan, and that is once again evident on this recording. Her coloratura soaring tones sound efortless here! And Gobbi!! What incredible voice he is in here!! I agree with our friend from Milano when he states that Gobbi has to be second only to Ruffo for Italian baritones. Di Stefano had to be the perfect voice for the Duke (along with Nicolai Gedda, the late Alfredo Kraus, and Mario Lanza, even though we were never fortunate enough for Lanza to perform the entire role). It must have been this type of voice Verdi had in mind when he wrote the Duke of Mantua. Di Stefano shows a neccessary abandon and rakeishness that so many other Tenors lack on recordings. This recording has a real Italian edge to it. Not plastic and pristine sounding like most modern recordings of this role. Serafin’s conducting is flawless!!!! Quite possibly one of the greatest recordings of all time. A must have!!!
Analyzed folder: /Volumes/HDMUSIC/96kGV_Rig_MC_TG_GDS/96k Verdi Rigoletto Callas Gobbi GDS
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR12 -1.15 dB -19.62 dB side1.wav
DR12 -1.80 dB -18.60 dB side2.wav
DR12 -1.46 dB -19.34 dB side3.wav
DR11 -1.99 dB -18.25 dB side4.wav
DR11 -1.29 dB -17.97 dB side5.wav
Number of files: 5
Official DR value: DR12
- Baritone Vocals [Marullo] – William Dickie
- Baritone Vocals [Rigoletto] – Tito Gobbi
- Bass Vocals [Grof Ceprano] – Carlo Forti
- Bass Vocals [Grof Monterone] – Plinio Clabassi
- Bass Vocals [Sparafucile] – Nicola Zaccaria
- Conductor – Tullio Serafin
- Conductor [Choir] – Norberto Mola
- Mezzo-soprano Vocals [Giovanna] – Giuse Gerbino
- Mezzo-soprano Vocals [Maddalena] – Adriana Lazzarini
- Orchestra: Coro e Orchestra della Scala di Milano
- Soprano Vocals [Gilda] – Maria Callas
- Soprano Vocals [Grofica Ceprano] – Elvira Galassi
- Tenor Vocals [Borsa] – Renato Ercolani
- Tenor Vocals [Vojvoda Od Mantove] – Giuseppe Di Stefano
- RCM: Okki Nokki
- TT: Clearaudio Champion Level II
- System: Special Edition Denon DL 103
- Phono stage: Pro-Ject Phono Box II
- Pre Amp: Unison Research Unico Pre (Tube)
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX Advanced v2.02, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Light de-Clicking with ClickRepair, significant clicks manually removing, no De-Noising
If You hear some clicks and pops here and there, Who cares?
Id rather have a few light anomalies instead of destroying the music. Enjoy the music, not the ticks & pops.
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciate. I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !