Reposted, now with FF links
This is one of the most dramatic operas you will ever hear…and, sadly, one of the most unseen on stage. When you hear Olivero & Del Monaco you can clearly understand, why….Who the hell could sing, today, like them? But when sung by a mature soprano like Magda Olivero this music can be electrifying. There is much in this piece that qualifies it as a masterwork. It was once popular but has faded somewhat. It needs to return soon to opera lovers’ hearts.
Reup because of Magda’s death.
The Italian soprano Magda Olivero, one of the most prominent interpreters of the Italian verismo operatic tradition whose career spanned 50 years, has died at 104.
The news agency ANSA said Olivero died Monday, Sept. 8th 2014 in a Milan hospital, where she was admitted after a stroke last month.
The Milan opera house La Scala, where Olivero debuted in 1938, honored her memory with a moment of silence before a performance on Monday. La Scala described Olivero’s voice as charismatic, her acting as formidable and her intelligence as “ready and cutting until the end”.
Olivero took a break from performing after her 1941 marriage, returning to the stage in 1958 in the title role of Adriana Lecouvreur at the urging of the opera’s composer Francesco Cilea. It became one of her most memorable roles.
# Composer: Umberto Giordano
# Performer: Magda Olivero, Mario Del Monaco, Tito Gobbi
# Orchestra: Orchestre National de l’Opera Monte Carlo
# Conductor; Lamberto Gardelli
# Vinyl (1970)
# Number of Discs: 2
# Format: Flac
# Label: Decca
# DR-Analysis: DR 14
# ASIN CD: B00000E4VQ
# Size: 1.84 GB
# Scan: yes
# Server: FileFactory
FEDORA was one of Magda Olivero’s signature roles and nobody sings it better. Other than the complete TURANDOT recording with Cigna which was recorded many years earlier and where Olivero’s voice sounds totally different with a much more pronounced vibrato reminiscent of an older style of singing, this is Olivero’s only other studio recording of a complete opera and a great document of what she sounded like later on in her career. In this FEDORA she sings opposite the equally amazing Mario Del Monaco and although he is a little past his prime it still is a great studio document of two amazing singers. Magda has always been a controversial artist and is considered one of Italy’s most important opera singers, so much so that when the famous printing house RICORDI decided to produce a series of biographies of Italy’s most important opera singers, the first volume was not Caruso or Tebaldi or Callas but Magda Olivero. I highly recommend this FEDORA, it is one of my favorite recordings.
This recording was originally supposed to be with Renata Tebaldi but she couldn’t do it and recommended Magda Olivero in her place.
|A||Act 1. Quattro! Sei, Doppio Zero!||22:04|
|B||Act 2. Part 1. Signori, Vi Presento Lazinsky||20:35|
|C||Act 2. (Conclusione) Gretch! I Vostri Uomini||15:29|
|D||Act 3. Dice La Capinera||31:59|
Analyzed folder: /96kUmGio_Fed_OliMdM/96k Giordano – Fedora – Olivero, Del Monaco, Gobbi
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR15 -0.63 dB -20.98 dB SideA – Act 1. Quattro. Sei, Doppio Zero.wav
DR15 -0.88 dB -20.44 dB SideB – Act 2. Part 1. Signori, Vi Presento Lazinsky.wav
DR12 -0.70 dB -17.06 dB SideC – Act 2. (Conclusione) Gretch, I Vostri Uomini.wav
DR15 -0.77 dB -20.77 dB SideD – Act 3. Dice La Capinera.wav
Number of files: 4
Official DR value: DR14
- Baritone Vocals – Tito Gobbi
- Choir – Monte Carlo Opera Chorus
- Chorus Master – Marcel Gay
- Conductor – Lamberto Gardelli
- Liner Notes – Peggie Cochrane
- Orchestra – Orchestra National De L’Opera De Monte-Carlo, Orchestra National De L’opéra De Monte Carlo
- Soprano Vocals – Magda Olivero
- Tenor Vocals – Mario del Monaco
- Vocals – Aron Bokatti, Athos Cesarini, Kiri Te Kanawa, Leonardo Monreale, Lucia Cappelino, Pascal Rogé, Peter Binder, Piero De Palma, Ricardo Cassinelli, Sergio Caspari, Silvio Maionica, Virgilio Carbonari
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Clearaudio Champion Level II
- Cartridge: Limited Edition Denon DL103 SA
- Phono amp: Pro-Ject Phono Box II
- Pre Amp: Unison Research Unico Pre (Tube)
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX Advanced v2.02, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Light de-Clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removing, no De-Noising
If You hear some clicks and pops here and there, Who cares?
Id rather have a few light anomalies instead of destroying the music. Enjoy the music, not the ticks & pops.
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciate.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !
Download from FileFactory