Reposted, now with FF links
# Composer: Georges Bizet
# Performer: Regine Resnik, Mario Del Monaco, Joan Sutherland, Tom Krause
# Orchestra: L’Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
# Conductor: Thomas Schippers
# Vinyl (1963)
# Format: Flac
# Label: London (Decca)
# DR-Analysis: DR 12
# ASIN CD: B00000425U
# Size: 2.41 GB
# Scan: yes
# Server: FileFactory
Without a doubt, Carmen is one of the most popular and most performed operas in the world. There were, during all this time, many very good and excellent Carmens (f. e. Callas) – right, the performance of Mrs Resnik as Carmen is another of the very, really very good ones….
…but (you guess) the reason, that Carmen was in the last 50 years very popular is, not at last, the merit of the best “Don José” of all times: Mario Del Monaco. He’s the one, the only, the magnificent Don Josè – no one compares to ihm. With Canio (Pagliacci), Turiddu (Cavalleria Rusticana) and Otello, Don José was another of his “life”-roles that he played/sung hundreds of times in his glorious carreer.
Carmen is the most popular opera in the world and of course has been recorded by all sorts of singers. The previsible result of this is that we always feel puzzled when we need to buy Carmen. First, you need to ask yourself: what Carmen am I looking for? If you want a elegant Carmen, choose Berganza. If you want a victime-of-the-fate Carmen, choose Gheorghiu. But if you want a real Carmen, able to be sexy and, at the same moment, able to show a great cruelty and coldness, choose Resnik. When I listen to her Carmen, I can see that sexy woman who shows us her perfid character, that woman who thought she was the imortal godness of Love. That was Carmen and that is Resnik’s Carmen. Some people criticize her interpretation saying she seems Klytemnestra. That’s not the case. I heard her Klytemnestra and can see that those people forgot something: both are cruel and selfish, but Carmen, instead of Klytemnestra, who kills to conquer love and richness, use the weapons of love. I love this recording exactly because of that: Resnik isn’t elegant and even the godness of sensuality, but a cruel, sexy and, specially, vulgar woman.
Joan Sutherland as Micaela is the opposite of Resnik as Carmen. She’s sweet and innocent, specially in the first act, and her powerful voice is gorgeous. Usually when we think of a sweet role to soprano like Micaela, we imagine a short voice, and that’s the common rule. It’s not what we hear in this great recording: we listen to the greatest coloratura soprano in the XX century! It means, we have a completely perfect Micaela, vocally and dramatically.
The cast also includes a good Mario del Monaco, with a magnificent voice that emphasizes the weak personality of Don José, and one of the best Escamillos ever sang, Tom Krause. I must remind you Escamillo was one of the best roles sang by the pleasant bass-baritone.
Besides, Thomas Schippers conducts the orchestra with a soft French soul and with power and competence. Another great detail is the pair formed by Spannelys and Minton (Frasquita and Mercedes, respectively), who sing the most gorgeous “Melons, coupons” I ever heard.
Analyzed folder: /Volumes/96kBizCa_MDM/96k Bizet Carmen – Resnik-MDM-Sutherland
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR13 -0.76 dB -18.67 dB side1.wav
DR13 -0.87 dB -19.22 dB side2.wav
DR13 -1.05 dB -19.56 dB side3.wav
DR12 -1.07 dB -18.06 dB side4.wav
DR12 -0.76 dB -18.15 dB side5.wav
DR11 -0.90 dB -16.35 dB side6.wav
Number of files: 6
Official DR value: DR12
- Baritone Vocals [Escamillo] – Tom Krause
- Bass Vocals [Don José] – Mario Del Monaco
- Choir – Le Choeur Du Grand Théâtre De Genève
- Composed By – Georges Bizet
- Conductor – Thomas Schippers
- Mezzo-soprano Vocals [Mercedes] – Yvonne Minton
- Orchestra – L’Orchestre De La Suisse Romande
- Painting [Front Cover] – Bernard Buffet
- Soprano Vocals [Carmen] – Regina Resnik
- Soprano Vocals [Frasquita] – Georgette Spanellys
- Soprano Vocals [Micaëla] – Joan Sutherland
- Tenor Vocals [Dancairo] – Jean Prudent
- Tenor Vocals [Remendado] – Alfred Hallett
- RCM: Okki Nokki
- TT: Clearaudio Champion Level II
- System: Special Edition Denon DL 103
- Phono stage: Pro-Ject Phono Box II
- Pre Amp: Unison Research Unico Pre (Tube)
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX Advanced v2.02, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Light de-Clicking with ClickRepair, significant clicks manually removing, no De-Noising
If You hear some clicks and pops here and there, Who cares?
Id rather have a few light anomalies instead of destroying the music. Enjoy the music, not the ticks & pops.
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciate. I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !
Download from FileFactory