Got this original item for almost nothing – it was, not ordered, among a dozen of ordered operas, so I can now replace the old 16/44 version with this HD version.
# Composer: Gioacchino Rossini
# Singer: Robert Merrill, Roberta Peters, Cesare Valletti, Fernando Corena
# Orchestra: Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and Chorus
# Conductor: Erich Leinsdorf
# Vinyl (1958)
# Number of Discs: 4
# Format: Flac
# Label: RCA Living Stereo
# DR-Analysis: DR 14
# ASIN: B000003G4F
# Size: 3.57 GB
# Scan: yes
# Server: FileFactory
A simply outstanding recording of Rossini’s most popular opera. This recording commemorates an historic Metropolitan Opera production from the early 1950s, during the first few years of the Bing regime.
Merrill is in his prime (which means he is untouchable by any other baritone, in my opinion), showing that a huge, dramatic baritone can successfully maneuver the coloratura of this work. His rendition of the Largo Al Factotum is the best on record, anywhere, with the ringing and easy top notes necessary for the role of Figaro.
Tozzi’s bass is gorgeous, also in his prime. Valletti is a light, but not too light, tenor with great flexibility. Corena is in full form singing one of his signature roles.
Add in Leinsdorf and you have a close-to-perfect performance.
Analyzed folder: /96k Rossini – Barber Of Seville – Merrill-Peters-Valletti
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR13 -0.48 dB -18.81 dB sideA.wav
DR15 -0.57 dB -20.95 dB sideB.wav
DR16 -0.83 dB -22.55 dB sideC.wav
DR14 -1.18 dB -20.39 dB sideD.wav
DR12 -0.93 dB -18.53 dB sideE.wav
DR15 -0.79 dB -20.83 dB sideF.wav
DR15 -0.79 dB -21.33 dB sideG.wav
DR12 -0.65 dB -18.61 dB sideH.wav
Number of files: 8
Official DR value: DR14
- RCM: Okki Nokki
- TT: Clearaudio Champion Level II
- System: Denon DL 103 (loaned)
- NEW ! Phono stage: Pro-Ject Phono Box RS
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Unison Research Unico Pre (Tube)
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
- Software: iZotope RX Advanced v2.02, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.9
- Light de-Clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removing, no De-Noising
If You hear some clicks and pops here and there, Who cares?
Id rather have a few light anomalies instead of destroying the music. Enjoy the music, not the ticks & pops.
- DR-Analisys before converting to Flac
- Converting Wave -> Flac: Twisted Wave 1.9
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciate. I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !
Download from FileFactory