I remember I purchased this almost 40 years ago, after reading a review of this on a HiFi magazine […] which found the sound extraordinary and the interpretation almost as great. I was all my life into Sir Georg Solti’s Mahler-Cycle, but I had to hear this. I got it and listened. Absolutely magnificent paying. The music sings and all the orchestral contrasts are magnificently managed. I have several recordings of Mahler’s Symphonies, some performances are also outstanding, but I would say none really really better. Since Mahler can be interpreted in more than one way, it is hard to compare them. Here, the clarity of the orchestra and the sound-stage are incredible. If you love Mahler and if you have a good sound system, don’t miss this. This will make you speechless.
Audiophile factor and artistic factor: very high!
Composer: Gustav Mahler
Orchestra: Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra
Conductor: Leonard Slatkin
Number of discs: 1
DR-Analysis: DR 15
Size: 1.81 GB
|A1||I. Langsam, Schleppend – Im Anfang Sehr Gemächlich||15:04|
|A2||II. Kräftig Bewegt, Doch Nicht Zu Schnell||7:08|
|A3||III. Feierlich Und Gemessen, Ohne Zu Schleppen||6:48|
|B1||III. Wieder etwas bewegter, Wie Im Anfang (Conclusion)||3:11|
|B2||IV. Stürmisch Bewegt||18:00|
Analyzed folder: /192k(Telarc) Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 1 ‘Titan’ (Slatkin)
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR17 -0.36 dB -23.96 dB A1 I. Langsam, Schleppend – Im Anfang Sehr Gemaechlich.aif
DR15 -1.19 dB -21.98 dB A2 II. Kraeftig Bewegt, Doch Nicht Zu Schnell.aif
DR15 -13.59 dB -33.33 dB A3 III. Feierlich Und Gemessen, Ohne Zu Schleppen.aif
DR14 -9.52 dB -28.39 dB B1 III. Wieder etwas bewegter, Wie Im Anfang (Conclusion).aif
DR16 -0.30 dB -21.65 dB B2 IV. Stuermisch Bewegt.aif
Number of files: 5
Official DR value: DR15
- Art Direction – Anilda Carrasquillo
- Composed By – Gustav Mahler
- Conductor – Leonard Slatkin
- Orchestra – Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra
- Design – Anilda Carrasquillo, Susan Cybulski
- Edited By [Literary] – William C. Baxter
- Engineer – Jack Renner
- Producer – Robert Woods
- Supervised By – Elaine Martone
Microphones: Schoeps omnidirectional
Digital Processing Recorder: Soundstream Digital Tape Recorder
Console: Neotek, custom built
Monitor Speakers: ADS model 1530 (Bi-Amplified)
Power Amplifiers: Threshold model 4000
Microphone & Interconnecting Cables: Audio Technica
Digital Editing: Sony DAE 1100During the recording of the digital masters and the subsequent transfer to disc, the entire audio chain was transformerless. The signal was not passed through any processing device (i.e., compression, limiting or equalization) at any step during production.
- RCM: Okki Nokki (L’art du son, Clearaudio’s Diamond Cleaner)
- TT: Vintage (1982) Yamaha PX-3
- Cartridge: Sumiko Black Bird
Cartridge: ZYX 50R Bloom
- Phono amp: Audio Research SP15 own tube phono section.
- ADC/DAC: RME Fireface UC
- Pre Amp: Audio Research SP15
- Finals: Opera Consonance 9.9 Mono (Tube)
- Speakers: Dali Helikon 400
- Connections: MIT Terminator, Audioquest Emerald, Audioquest Quartz
A few words about the way i’ve been cleaning vinyl records and post-processing rips, since summer 2017: After washing and recording the vinyl, I use a kind of mixed cleaning of the rip, which consists of mostly manual rather than automatic de-clicking, (the latter only on unimportant passages, such as end of the groove, beginning and end of the songs, applause, speaking). I often leave the rips almost rough, de-clicking only the silences between the tracks. Never de-noising or/and EQ, as unfortunately some do. I prefer to hear a bit of quiet noises of the clean groove, that contain something of the music, rather than generate clinically clean files that may, eventually, sound a bit dead. If you do not agree, do not download my rips and buy instead digital files or CDs.
When I listen to music I “don’t hear” any noise: I enjoy the music 😀
I do not make rips for headphones!
- Software: iZotope RX 5 Advanced, Adobe Audition CS 5.5, Twisted Wave 1.18
- Very careful de-clicking with iZotope, significant clicks manually removed, never de-noising
- Wave 32/192(32/384) —> Flac 24/96 & 24/192: Twisted Wave 1.18
- Artwork: Sony Alpha 350, Epson Perfection V750 Pro, Photoshop CS 5.5
If you like what i do, please consider that a little donation would be very appreciated.
I reinvest all donations in maintenance of my rig, for purchasing cleaning solutions and, most important of all, purchasing of new vinyls.
Click on the “Donate”-button. Thank you very much !