Performer: Idil Biret
Composer: Pierre Boulez
SPARS Code: DDD
Number of Discs: 1
Format: FLAC (image+cue)
Size: 168 MB
01. Piano Sonata No. 1: I. Lent – Beaucoup plus allant
02. Piano Sonata No. 1: II. Assez large – Rapide
03. Piano Sonata No. 2: I. Extremement rapide – Encore plus vif
04. Piano Sonata No. 2: II. Lent
05. Piano Sonata No. 2: III. Modere, presque vif
06. Piano Sonata No. 2: IV. Vif – Tres modere? Tres librement?
07. Piano Sonata No. 3: Glose
08. Piano Sonata No. 3: Texte
09. Piano Sonata No. 3: Parenthese
10. Piano Sonata No. 3: Commentaire
11. Piano Sonata No. 3: Piano Sonata No. 3, Formant 3: Constellation – Miroir
Interesting piano solo
Henze is my perfered avant garde composer, next to Schnittke. But here I must confess, Boulez has offered some nice piano music for the Modernist.
WE modernists are not well respected by the romantics/classicaists.
anyway, Boulez’s orch/chamber I am not so convinced about. I ‘ve tried it out several times,,,to be fair, after I post this review I will have yet another listen,,,Henze is what I feel offers the highest forms of late 20TH C music.Boulez and Stockhausen seem to be more mechanical in nature, whereas Henze offers the true classical tradition.
If you do not know what the true classical tradition is, I suggest you relisten to Mozart’s late works.
Contrary to scarecrow’s comments, I find Biret near definitive as possible. No need to look for a 2nd version, its all here with Biret.
In fact I like the performance as much as the music itself.
5 stars for the performance, 4 stars for the Boulez composition.