Composer: Johann Strauss
Orchestra: Cologne New Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor: Volker Hartung
Number of Discs: 1
Format: FLAC (tracks)
Label: JPK Musik
Size: 748 MB
01. Frühlingsstimmen, Op. 410 (Version for Orchestra)
04. Champagner-Polka, Op. 211
05. Tritsch-Tratsch-Polka, Op. 214
06. An der schönen, blauen Donau, Op. 314
07. Wein, Weib und Gesang!, Op. 333
08. Rosen aus dem Süden, Op. 388
09. Perpetuum mobile, Op. 257, “Musikalischer Scherz” (Musical Joke)
10. Kaiser-Walzer, Op. 437
11. Unter Donner und Blitz (Thunder and Lightning), Polka, Op. 324
12. Radetzky March, Op. 228
For more than 20 years, the Cologne New Philharmonic Orchestra has been presenting its audience with a cheerful and at the same time reflective program from the rich repertoire of the Strauss dynasty and its contemporaries at the turn of the year. Under its umbrella, a unique platform has emerged that gives young professionals the ever-less-rare opportunity to participate in exceptional concert projects beyond the limits of their studies and professional life.
Born in Cologne, Volker Hartung began learning the violin and viola at the age of nine. He was Principal Violist in the Klassische Philharmonie in Bonn from 1974 to 1980 and in the Rhenish Chamber Orchestra in Cologne. American scholarships enabled Hartung to study viola and conducting at the Juilliard School of Music in New York City with Ivan Galamian, Joseph Gingold, Margaret Pardee and the Juilliard Quartet from 1980 to 1982.
Volker Hartung has been Principal Conductor of the Junge Philharmonie Köln since 1986 and has appeared with the Orchestra at numerous International Music Festivals and concert tours throughout the world.